Monday, February 6, 2012

I AM…a student


There is so much inspiration to be found from other photographers. Maybe I’ve just stumbled upon some extra-special people as I’m following photography web-sites and blogs…I don’t know. But I’m finding that they are a really NICE group of people. So giving of themselves – sharing their knowledge, writing honestly about their faults, problems, solutions – and so inspirational to those of us just starting out. Seriously, every time I feel overwhelmed by how much there is to learn and that my work is never going to measure up to other professional photographers’, I read a blog post of someone I really admire telling about how they went through those same feelings and made the same mistakes and worked through them and came out better for it. About how it’s okay to dream of things that don’t seem possible right now.

The inspiration for this new “tradition” on my blog – the monthly “I AM” post – came from 2 places. 1) Gail Werner’s blog http://www.gailwernerblog.com/ is one of those that I follow regularly and Gail does a monthly self-portrait post. It’s really fun to get to know her a little better each month through those posts.

2) The Clickin Moms group recently put together a video entitled “I am a photographer”, where the photographers featured in it each showed a word describing an important part of who they are aside from photography.

Soooo…I’ve decide to combine those 2 ideas and do a monthly post describing 1 thing that “I AM” and include a self-portrait. It’s gonna take some courage. I love being behind the camera, but am not so crazy about my own portrait.

Well, on with it…I am a student. No, I didn’t have a middle-age crisis and go back to college, but I do spend a great deal of time drawing from different sources in pursuit of learning. In a few short days I’ll be attending Justin & Mary’s Walk Through a Wedding workshop and I KNOW there will be a lot of learning going on there. And speaking of inspiration?!?! Their blog http://www.justinmarantz.com/ is like a daily dose of inspiration for me. You should check ‘em out.

I’ll be writing about my experience when I get back, so stay tuned!

2 comments:

Madeline said...

I like this idea :) I might copy you on it..... I don't think anyone looks at my blog though lol

Lisa said...

I love this idea! And that's a great photo of you. Looking forward to learning with you this weekend!